- Client ERM Italia
- Project SIGMA - Sistema Informativo Geografico delle Matrici Ambientali (geographical information system for environmental matrices) – for a steel production and processing plant
- Key Solution no
- Category Italy, PA, Environment and Territory
The project objective was to develop a homogeneous database, together with an easy-to-use WebGIS system, to enable sharing and geospatial analysis of information from a number of environmental surveys conducted on the site over the years.
Specifically, the system was intended to enable comparison of space/temporal information on the concentrations of pollutants in the various areas of the plant in order to check the quality and effectiveness of the remediation operations that had taken place and highlight any residual critical areas.
The project consisted of the following macro-phases:
- analysis of requirements and problems involved in the integration of heterogeneous data relating to the surveys conducted over the years;
- analysis, processing and creation of semi-automatic procedures to standardise data inside the final database;
- design of system components, and sharing of components through use cases, interface mock-ups, etc.;
- implementation of system components;
- installation, deploy testing and start-up of the environmental analysis web platform in the production environment.
SIGMA is a WebGIS system for management, display and graphical representation of contamination data (underground and surface water) collected in a number of surveys, with a statistical and geostatistical analysis component.
All the information in the database has a spatial component enabling its localisation in the WebGIS system, as well as analysis and automatic creation of charts and theme maps showing the distribution and behaviour over time of pollutants, starting from the location of the survey points.
The WebGIS system is a basic georeferenced tool to assist characterisation of the site and development of possible future action.
The client was able to make use of GeneGIS GI’s experience in developing GIS solutions and the team’s knowhow of the technologies used (PostgreSQL) and industry issues.
The SIGMA system is based entirely on open-source technology, with no licence costs.