- Client A confectionery multinational
- Project Logistics and fleet management
- Key Solution roots
- Category Italy, Logistic and transport
To provide the client with a logistics management solution to monitor transport inside the warehouses, checking waiting, driving, loading and unloading times, in order to optimise the service and reduce waste.
The client is a leading player on the international confectionery market and runs a highly complex production and logistics network.
The client’s main factory alone has multiple finished-product distribution points, for a monthly volume of more than 18,000 box pallets.
Improving management of this logistics network, which has a 25 km radius and involves 3 daily shifts, means identifying empty journeys, downtimes for loading/unloading, driving times, and communication between drivers and shift managers.
The solution is based on the Tom Tom Telematics Webfleet platform, which uses peripheral devices installed on the vehicles to provide real-time data on vehicle location, kilometres covered, journey start/end times, breaks, speeds, fuel consumption and driving hours.
Communication between the driver and the office for transmission of information on the number of unloaded box pallets is implemented through PRO7150 navigators combined with link 510 navigators for the proprietary fleet and PRO 5250 Truck navigators for the external fleet. These are portable monitoring devices that comply with the conditions set by the client: to avoid the permanent or invasive installation of any equipment, to guarantee vehicle interchangeability, to allow the driver to deactivate vehicle monitoring when he/she is not working.
Thanks to the GeneGIS GI roots platform, which communicates with the Webfleet database, the reports on the aggregated data are made available and downloadable in real time.
- external shuttle report, which reconstructs the journeys made by this type of vehicle by day and by haulier;
- internal shuttle report, which provides a periodic summary of internal transfers among the client’s factories.
The integrated roots and Webfleet solution forms a complete fleet management system with significant benefits:
- real-time fleet position monitoring;
- improved driving, reduction in fuel consumption and carbon emissions, environment friendliness;
- monitoring of vehicle entries and exits at factories with cartographic representation of handling areas;
- greater operating flexibility, enabling real-time communication between the shift manager and drivers for insertion of new journeys;
- more efficient management of journeys between factories, with a reduction in empty journeys;
- mapping the position of staging points and sensitive areas defined by the user (buffer on sales points, warehouses, etc.);
- creation of reports with aggregated data to summarise internal transfers between factories and assess performance;
- reduction of printed documents and creation of an online automatic register;
- documented evidence that driving hours comply with legal limits.