- Client Regione Veneto
- Project Development of the Veneto Regional Authority's new Spatial Data Infrastructure
- Key Solution no
- Category PA, Environment and Territory
The main goal of the project is the analysis, design, development and implementation of the new version of the Veneto Regional Authority’s Spatial Data Infrastructure (IDS) and related Geoportal, which are being completely re-structured on the basis of Open Source technology.
The project stems from a 20 million euro call for tenders relating to a significant portion of the development, maintenance and evolution of the Veneto Region’s applications. Only companies with revenues commensurate with the basis price were eligible to tender. Given the budgeted amount, GeneGIS GI is operating, for the entire IDT component, on a subcontractor basis to ENGINEERING Ingegneria Informatica S.p.A.
The Veneto Region’s IDS is a digital infrastructure created to coordinate the production and sharing of geospatial information at regional level, in line with the national geodata strategy.
The IDS has been structured to contain the guidelines for the definition of geodata, related metadata and information exchange services. The guidelines are based on the INSPIRE implementation standards on interoperability with regard to the management and consultation of online land registries.
The results of the project are:
- Creation of a GeoCMS, a geospatial content management system acting as an information sharing platform
- Development of WebGIS applications with easy-to-use interfaces, providing maps consisting of geospatial layers and common GIS tools.
- Management of system data flows, including uploading, quality control, metadata creation, updating
- Definition, implementation and management of a regional metadata catalogue, organised in accordance with the INSPIRE directive and based on the National Repository of Territorial Data, the Italian national metadata profile
- Creation of a central geodatabase, complete with all the geospatial information to be managed at regional level
- Integration with the existing Single Sign-On (SSO) procedure, to enable individual protected access to the system for internal users
The IDS is the point of collection for the Veneto Region’s geospatial information, a single database that can be easily accessed by specialists for efficient management and dissemination of geographical data, which may also be useful for political decision makers.
On-going updating and a structure based on the INSPIRE guidelines enable data to be shared with other public authorities. Moreover, the migration – as a result of the entry of GeneGIS GI – towards completely OPEN technologies reduces the costs incurred by the Region for proprietary platform user licences for GIS technologies.