- Client Mauritania Ministry of Oil, Energy and Mines
- Project Design and development of an integrated digital platform for environmental data relating to the marine and coastal area of Mauritania
- Key Solution no
- Category PA, Environment and Territory
The main objective of the project is the implementation of a geospatial data sharing platform, for the marine and coastal area of Mauritania.
The specific project objectives are as follows:
- collection of available data from the various bodies;
- creation of a database containing key information: geospatial data and real-time data from the oil wells;
- development of an information sharing platform, for display of geospatial data, monitoring of oil well data, document management and circulation of environmental information;
- training for local users on identified problems and technologies used.
The project employed a cascade methodology with a series of macro-phases, each one including specific activities to reach the planned objectives and deliver the requested products on schedule.
The macro-phases of fundamental importance for the development of the project were:
- assessment of the current situation, with analysis of available data, software applications, hardware infrastructure, user domain knowledge, operating structure of the ministerial organisation using the project.
- design of the various project components, including the data model to structure the central database, analysis of application and central platform functional requirements, required software applications, hardware infrastructure and the overall architecture, plus development of a user training program;
- implementation of the activities covered by the design project, including physical modelling of the database, input of data into the database, development, personalisation and installation of the platform. The final stage was roll-out of the planned training activities.
In addition to these main phases, a series of pre- and post-project operations were planned, such as a meeting to brief operators involved in the process and plan milestones and conclusive on site and remote consultancy.
The main platform characteristics are as follows:
- Client/web server model, with a Geospatial Content Management System (Geo-CMS) structure, a geospatial information portal with management of content including documents (Doc, Pdf, etc.), spreadsheets (Excel), images, video, etc.
- Public access with individual profiled credentials to enable users in the institutions concerned to access public data as well as confidential data relating to their own institution. Users interact with the system using common Internet browsers (Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Mac Safari) without requiring local installations or additional plug-ins.
- Standard GIS navigation functions, display of geospatial layers, thematic maps, alphanumeric attributes, searches, printing, etc., plus specific functions such as monitoring of oil well information, document management, display of news.
- Use of open source technology.
- Training with classroom theory lessons and practical exercises using real cases. The sessions were organised for specific roles: user, data administrator, system administrator.
The Mauritania Ministry of Oil, Energy and Mines had the support of GeneGIS GI, whose years of experience enabled it to offer:
- international expertise in implementing open source geoportals for government agencies;
- extensive knowhow of the technologies used to develop personalised applications.